Friday, May 15, 2009

Mom

Is it too late for Mothers' Day? Nope-- because I just adore my Mom every day of the year.

I was with her Thursday night when we dropped in on an old friend of hers who is in an Alzheimer's unit. She talked so tenderly to her friend who just responded with a slight smile. Mom chatted about the woman's family and held her hands and prayed for her to find peace in these days. That's my mother--understanding other people's needs and helping them as best she can.

I used to remark on all the things I learned from my mother growing up-- how to bake a cake, sew on a button, how to teach Sunday School or throw a birthday party, how to raise 4 kids and love a husband... But I'm finding I'm learning even more now that she's (almost ) 78 and living an amazing life -- organizing the CD ministry at church, shepherding people around the Nixon Library as a docent, knitting caps for children overseas, volunteering at a charity thrift store, keeping track of grandkids on facebook!, leading tour groups all over the world, serving on the missions board, "mothering" me and a whole lot of other people. The single word I think of when I think of my mother is "unselfish." I hope to be like her. She is an amazing, godly woman, Lorraine Dupray.

No comments: