Monday, June 8, 2009

HOME

"Home is where the heart is." I believe that. When we lived in Spain i was "homesick" for California. Now in California, I have my "homesick" days for Spain. And with Micah and family in Shanghai, I've plenty of "homesick" for China days... My heart is home in all these places. That's why when I read this C.S.Lewis quote, I read it over & over and loved it right away...

"The settled happiness and security which we all desire, God withholds from us by the very nature of this world; but joy, pleasure, and merriment he has spread broadcast. We are never safe, but we have plenty of fun, and some ecstasy. It is not hard to see why. The security we crave would teach us to rest our hearts in this world and pose an obstacle to our return to God; a few moments of happiness, of love, a landscape, a symphony, a merry meeting with our friends, a bathe, or a football match, have no such tendency. Our Father refreshes us on the journey with some pleasant inns, but will not encourage us to mistake them for home."

At the end of my father's life the family gathered in his cc unit room. We'd talk and sing to him. Sing "This world is not my home." --an old favorite of ours. He knew where he was going, to heaven, to his real home. I love my life, my "merry" days with family & dear friends and the hard days as well. But I long for the real, eternal, heart home of heaven...

No comments: