Sunday, May 16, 2010

Coconut Pecan Cake

When we were first married in Dallas, all marvelous southern cooks would serve up their "Italian cream coconut cake." But, alas, every time I tried to produce this yummy confection, I failed. I suspect was my lack of patience at beating all those egg whites! So imagine my delight, when a couple years ago, I found a coconut cake recipe from a cake mix! oh joy! It's been one of my favorites ever since.

COCONUT PECAN CAKE

1 white cake mix
1 1/3 cup water
1/3 cup canola oil
3 eggs (all the egg, not just the whites)
1 full cup of coconut
1 full cup of chopped, pecans

Mix of the first4 ingredients. Beat with a mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in the coconut and pecans.
Spoon into 2 round cake pans and bake about 30 minutes at 350. What could be easier!

FROSTING
1 cube butter
8 oz cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
1 box powdered sugar (1 lb.)
more coconut & pecans

Beat the first 4 ingredients together until blended. Spread on cooled cake. Cover with coconut and pecans.

Sometimes I just top the cake with coconut and set fresh flowers on top (white roses, bright nasturiums), if I want a pretty cake.

That's it. Usually a big hit--except for that small group of people who do not like coconut (I just can't understand that!) Enjoy!

1 comment:

lokate said...

I can testify that this cake is super yummy!

also, where's my photo credit?!