Friday, September 19, 2008

THE LIST

Recently Micah posted a blog with this list of a format. And then Ani picked it up and wrote on the same topics. Great fun to read them both. So I'm jumping on the bandwagon with my own little points of view:

THE U.S. ELECTION: Well, this is the most interesting election in my recollection. And truth be told I'm a bit torn. There are some points of the Republican plank that I hold to--saving unborn children. But listening to Obama, I sense an integrity and generosity of spirit that is very apealling. I am for ending the war soon and all for fiscal responisbility in government. So who do I vote for?

RELIGION: I can only say my faith is more precious to me now than ever. The older I grow, the more aware I am of my own sin/failings and more thankful for the mercy God has extended toward me to allow me to be his. I know that God and our salvation in Jesus can not be scientifically proven--that's why it's called faith. But what is the meaning of life, the basis of morality apart from a perfect God? So many "clues" point to God. I'm reading "The Reason for God" by Tim Keller right now and it's bolstering my faith while pointing to flaws in my life that only God can forgive--an amazing book. God is good.

OLYMPICS: I enjoyed the parts that I did see-- a very American slant on the events. Kept waiting to see those Spanish girls in the rhythmic gymnastics! But I found I liked the side stories on China even more than the events. I guess I'm more of a travel person than a sports person!

PARTIES: When I was small my Dad called me the party girl! Not that I'm big at "partying" in the current venacular. But I do love to have friends in the house and feed them. And Sally and I are having big fun organizing little events for the JH ladies nowdays. This Sunday I am making a big Thanksgiving lunch (turkey, orange-cranberry sauce, pecan tarts...) for all the friends who pitched in on the kitchen remodel. Should be a warm, wonderful time to thank them--being with comfortable, old friends is a sweet part of life.

MUSIC: Hmm, I don't have sophisticated musical taste. It seems like I enjoy classical music-- especially harmony laden Bach or any lively,lovely Baraoque and also the type of music I grew up with. That's Joni, James and Van. And some serious hymns feed my soul... Maybe as you age comfort is an asset in music over novelty. Or maybe it's just what I like...

WHERE YOU LIVE: I could write a book on this one! We have lived here in SoCal, Dallas, Costa Rica and Spain. When the time to move to Spain came I was more than recluctant to go. But the years there have become precious to me--not so much because of the place (although there are parts of the Spanish culture i sorely miss), but because of the people. The best part of Dallas were the friends. And why are we here in SoCal? --because our parents and the JH are here. I would pick somewhere more traditional, more beautiful, more green, more friendly if I were just picking a place...

HISTORY: I believe a sense of history is important in making you a wise, knowledgable person, especially the history of other cultures and other peoples. I have to confess much of the history I know is from reading novels (MIchner,Wouk,Stone) or biographies (Jung Chang, Fritz)--not too academic. But when I travel I love to get a sense of the place, in part, by it's history. And it gives me joy to see God's work in people through history...

DAUGHTERS: I can't imagine my life without Ani and Laurel. Ani, sweet and thoughful--insightful into her life and mine as well. She is a model of integrity and care for people. And she's so awfuly pretty! Laurel, clever and and oh so fun-- Gr Lo called her the "joy giver." Lolo is bright and caring, so good to her friends and her mom! and such a great smile--so adorable. I couldn't love my girls more! So it's a bit bittersweet that they are so far away and I can't see them, junk store shop, library browse, cook, tv watch, just plain talk with them as much as I would wish.

DAUGHTERS II: I try to be a loving and faithful daughter to my own mom. It's not hard to be motivated--because there is almost no one I admire more or love as much. She is capable, active and loves God deeply. She cares for me unselfishly and always has.

FOOD: When we travel, one of my favorite occupations is visiting markets and trying new foods-- eg the Naschmarkt in Vienna, the saltmbocca in Rome last summer. And at home I adore shopping, cooking, eating and feeding other people food! Some people like football and some like roller coasters-- but I get my adrenaline finding the perfect recipe in a Bon Apetit magazine and whipping it up for Larry or friends. This week it was orange chipotle chicken with cilantro rice for our "fun" friends--Tim and Jill. --rich flavor, just spicy enough and warm, pretty to the eye. And now I have a lovely new kitchen to cook in (thanks Larry)!! So who wouldn't like coconut pecan cake, banana-nut pancakes, bacon slathered brussel sprouts or a prefect big plate of spaghetti! Don't get me started on food!

1 comment:

Micah Sittig said...

Great thoughts! So much more thoughtful and experienced than mine... hopefully when I'm your age I'll be able to write that deeply.