Monday, November 3, 2008

Being a Mom

I'm celebrating today. Yahool!! It's Micah's 30th birthday-- Jodi wrote me that in China turning 30 is saying good-bye to being young! (Sorry Micah). He has had a full and, I think, interesting first 30 years. It will be great to watch the next 30 unfold... I'm so deeply thankful he was born and is the kind, loyal, responsible, intelligent, loving person he's become... (besides turning out to be the best husband and dad!).

And I'm celebrating another milestone for me too. 30 years of being a mom! I'd always wanted that job and have to say it's been my most important vocation. My job desciption has changed quite a bit over the years. For a while, I was constantly pregnant, nursing, giving baths and changing diapers-- 4 children in just under 6 years. But they were marvelous, miraculous years of new lives and meeting these little people I would love so much. All the firsts were great fun-- first steps, first words, first bedtime prayers, first days of school... Watching Aaron build with his blocks, Micah drag a book over to ask me to read, Ani and Laurel arranging and rearranging their doll houses...

And school-- I have to confess, it made me proud to watch those kids shine. I loved teaching them to read in English and watching them tackle Spanish schooling. Reading at bedtime, days at Parque Maria Luisa, birthday parties, Christmas advent times together, trapsing through museums on traveling vacations -- I could list 100's of favorite parts of being a Mom. I think the college years were a bigger adjustment for me than for them. It's tough to let go of a job you loved so well, feeling suddenly "obsolete." But getting to share their college days, even long distance opened up new, exciting places and ideas for me too! I loved the parents weekends in Wheaton, the stories of crazy, hard days at caltech, driving up to Berkeley to see Aaron, or trying out new ethnic foods with Ani on visits to the "Hill." A friend had told me that you really learn how to pray when your children start in to college, I found that it was so true!

Now I'm launching into a new mothering phase--it's called mother-in-lawing and grandmothering! More people to love! It was surprising to me how precious Jodi became to me so quickly. --and those adorable girls. I am hoping for chances to make some small, but significant contributions to the lives of Charlotte and Maryann as they learn and live... I hope they know that there is someone who always adores them. Just like I hope my own kids know that well...

A couple of summers ago I went through a mothering "crisis". I couldn't figure out how to be the mom of all these grown children! A lot of walking and talking with mom-friends, a lot of praying , thinking and some crying distilled it for me. I made a list of 3 things to do to be a mom of grown children. I keep it on a 3x5 card by my bed--to remember how to do it well. I know sometimes I mess it up, but I'm still trying to do my best, with God's help.

All that to say, I've loved 30 years of being a mom and thank God for the most wonderful gift of the children who passed through our home.

No comments: