Monday, March 15, 2010

7 Weeks with Charlotte

When Micah emailed offering to let Charlotte stay with Gr & Gr for 7 weeks after Christmas, I could scarcely believe it! We had won the grandparent lottery!

And the time with that girl turned out even better than I had hoped! Armed with Laurel as the world's funnest nanny and two doting Grandparents to attend to her every need, we made sure she would be well taken care of!

The sweetest moments for me with at bedtime. We'd pull a couple of library books off of the shelf, read and talk and sing a couple hymns til Charlotte was lulled almost to sleep. It was pure serendipity--a chance to be a "mom" again for a few weeks with adorable Charlotte. We made dinner together and baked brownies--I have the chocolate face photos to prove it! We made several trips to the library--playing puzzles and carefully picking out the weeks books. We had tea parties and played with Ani & Laurel's old doll house furniture in houses made of my father's childhood blocks. I loved, loved watching Charlotte and Laurel dancing in the kitchen--Larry and I would join in for a crazy dance-a-thon. When Charlotte visited me at school, she was the most popular girl on campus! While I worked after school, she'd color and draw on the board, build with blocks and "read" books-- great companionable time together. She loved Sunday school almost as much as I loved sitting with her in our JH class at church. What a girl!

So last Saturday we skyped with Micah and Charlotte. She came on and informed us "I'm in China!" How well we know. I miss that girl on my trips to the library and all the time in between. I'm just waiting til Micah and Jodi send Charlotte and Maryann for another good stay with the grandparents.

No comments: