Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cottage Cheese Pancakes

Driving by the pancake house and Jenon commented, "I always get the same pancakes when we go there. Cottage Cheese Pancakes." Cottage cheese? Really? (one of my unfavorite foods) But trusting Jenon's good taste, I came home to find dozens of cottage cheese pancake recipes on line and landed on one from Smitten Kitchen. Baked up a batch for dinner tonight (with a few modifications) and they were as good as I'd hoped-- tender, warm, moist, but sturdy enough to hold up to a good drenching of syrup. Yummm.

COTTAGE CHEESE PANCAKES

1 1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 cup small curd cottage cheese
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 egg yolks (save the whites)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup currants
2 egg whites

Mix the first 4 dry ingredients. Then add in the milk, cottage cheese, oil, egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in the walnuts and currants. Then beat the egg whites until frothy (I used the stick blender, but a fork will do). Fold in the egg whites until it's all blended.

Cook the pancakes on a non stick griddle sprayed with Pam. Don't put the heat up too high. They take a bit to cook through.

I ate double my quota of pancakes with these good guys! And you couldn't even taste the cottage cheese, ...thankfully. I recommend them!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh - i am disappointed because I loooove cottage cheese. Reminds me of Muggie's house :D Well, I guess they can taste great even if they don't taste like cottage cheese. Can't wait to try them.