Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Thinking over 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

This summer I'm trying to get my old brain to hold a few Bible verses that have become dear to me. Starting with 2 Corinthians 4:16-18.

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is see, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporal, but what is unseen is eternal."

Just when I was "losing heart," I happened again upon these verses. When my trust in God wavers, my heart is lost over things I wish I could change, but cannot.

Just looking in the mirror reminds me about the wasting away part--59 years of living does wear a body down a bit. And also there's a friend who is starting on the journey of breast cancer, so much more severe. So our inward renewal--every day--is my hope, an eternal hope.

And best of all fixing my eyes on the unseen. I love all the things I see around me, our home, the faces of people I adore, the sun on our maple trees, sweetpeas on the table, a slice of tart on a plate. How can I remember that all that is so short lived and not forget to fix my eyes on the eternal? God, help my small faith to have the "assurance of things unseen."


No comments: