Friday, March 18, 2011

Other People

If you know my buddy Jill, you'll know she is the friendliest, most generous and endearing friend around. So years ago when she recommended Dale Carnegie's old classic "How to Win Friends and Influence people," I trotted off to the library to check out a copy. Don't ask me for details, but I do remember that he wrote that people think about themselves about 90% of their thought time. And I've noticed (at least in my thought life) it's unfortunately true. So I'm trying small bit by bit, to be thinking about other people... to take care of them as well as I manage to take care of myself.

A friend posted this on facebook a couple weeks ago:
"Joy can be real only if people look upon their life as a service, and have a definite object in life outside of themselves and their personal happiness." --Leo Tolstoy

And today I read, "the son of man did not come to be served, but to serve and give his life as a ransom for many." -Mark 10:45

Thinking about other people, serving them, putting them first. It's harder than it sounds...




No comments: